Wow! It is Monday again! How did that happen. I am one week to Thanksgiving vacation, one week until a trip to Bellevue to my Sisters, one week full of tasks (too many to do, no doubt) and only two days until I get my husband back. Fall is always a crazy time for us, but this fall I feel as though I have been 'home alone' most often. I will be anxious for his return.
I spent this weekend on the road. I drove 5.5 hours to Kearney, Nebraska to meet a former College Roommate (Peggy). She has moved to Ames, IA and Kearney, Nebraska is half way between our respective stops. It was so great! I spent a lot of time thinking, watching the prairie pass by and listening to Mere Christianity on my IPOD. I have tried to read Mere Christianity may times, but CS Lewis was always talking above my reading level! Listening to it made me think, made me understand the words better, and reminded me of those fundamentals of my faith. Peggy and I spent the weekend talking, shopping in sweet antique stores (bought a wash tub and a free-standing wreath holder - CUTE!) and enjoying being around one another. Peggy has a yellow Labrador - we are kin because of our love of these crazy dogs!
I have wondered over this past week - what is it that makes a friend? CS Lewis talked about friendship, Beth Moore's down load was on friendships, I feel like I am struggling with friendships, it is my consistent thought this past week.
Christian women are commanded to: Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as Christ forgave you." Ephesians 4:32. I would like to forget this verse! When I was truly angry last week, and I wanted to shout, it was KayDee who reminded me that being a Christian means being one to the core (drat it!) - a changed inside. While I could be mad, I am commanded to be compassionate and forgiving. She reminded me that this situation could not be talked about any more, as it would make us talk badly about our friends, and we should NEVER do this. We are going to be each other accountability partners in this. We are to be different...it is not easy, but what value!
CS Lewis talked about a key Christian virtue of Charity as acting as though you LOVE everyone. It is not LOVING everyone. It is 'doing onto others.' He even implied that by treating others this way will actually help us to LOVE them. I had never thought of charity in this way, but I will now. He also reminded us that these are CHRISTIAN values, and we can not expect non-Christians to act in the way we are commanded. We must, but our job is to love others who they are and where they are, this is our job as Christians!
What is a friend to Kellie? One that helps remind me to be a better version of myself. One who loves me, provides charity, is supportive, is kind. One who is honestly up front with me on my failings, and loves me in spite of them. A friend is one that I can spend time with, easy, unconditional time.
I thank God for all of my friends, and I pray that I can be the friend that others need, whatever their definition is. I pray that in this, too, I can learn and grow. In this too, I can model my Savior, who loves and forgives unconditionally. Thank you dear friends!
Monday, November 12, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
You are a wonderful friend, dear. I think the challenge in living our Christian faith is in the day to day. So much for the big picture -- it is the nitty gritty. Awareness is half the battle. Keep the faith, sister :)
You were up early today -- I had planned to get up and go walking and when I went to check on Eli at 5 a.m. he wanted me to get in bed with him and snuggle ... who can resist that?
Everyone is coming to my house for T'giving. I'm trying to get organized - just put a beef stew in the crockpot for dinner tonight. Golly this staying home all is really cool!
Treasuring your friendship right now.
Hoping you know what your faith is doing for yourself and others.
Impressed that you're listening to Mere Christianity.
Blessed by your words of encouragement.
Thankful for your wisdom & grace.
He's using you in mighty ways dear friend - molding you, making you, defining you.
Blessings & peace - Linds
Post a Comment