Friday, November 30, 2007

Redeemed and Loved by the Sovereign Lord

Redeem:


to deliver: save from sins
to restore the honor or worth of
to turn in (vouchers or coupons) and receive something in exchange
to ransom; exchange or buy back for money; under threat
to pay off (loans or promissory notes)
to convert into cash; of commercial papers


This morning I decided it was time to study this word...REDEEM. The words of David in 2 Samuel 7 are the forefront of this study...he understood redemption like I want to. David, the King of Israel, David from whose family our Savior came; David who could fight off giants with no more than a sling and a rock. David who understood the redemption because he is of the family of Ruth who was redeemed by BOAZ, her kinsman redeemer.


Here is what David said:
"Who am I, O Sovereign Lord, and what is my family that you have brought me this far? And as if this were not enough in your sight, OSovereign Lord, you have also spoken about the future of the house of your servant. Is this your usual way of dealing with man, O Sovereign Lord?
What more can David say to you? For you know your servant, O Sovereign Lord. For the sake of your word and according to your will, you have doen this great thing and made it known to your servant.

How great you are, O Sovereign Lord! There is no one like you and there is no God but you, as we have heard with our own ears. And who is like your people Israel - the one nation on earth that God went ot to redeem as a people for himself, and to make and name for himself, and to perform great and awesome wonders by driving out nationals and their gods from before your people, who you redeemed from Egypt? You have established your peole Israel as your very own forever, and you, O Lord have become their God."


This makes me ask...who am I Lord? Who am I that you have brought me this far? Do I truly understand your sovereignity? You are working on me to drive out all of my 'gods.' You have driven out my enemies; You choose me. You redeemed me. Who am I?


I find it amazing that I was chosen before time to become a child of God. Christ, through his salvation, is bigger than all challenges, establishing me as one of his own...forever...to be chosen, to be ransomed, to pay my debts because he is big enough and sovereign enough to do so. He delivered me...he turns in my sins and covers them for me. He is big enough to fight off all injustices, failings, fears, GIANTS in my life. He cared for me enough to redeem me. Praise! Praise! Praise!


Today I pray like I know, without a doubt, that I am loved and cared enough to have been REDEEMED. I pray that I can act in a way that is grateful and thankful of this GIFT. There is peace and freedom in knowing that we are loved that much. You, too, sister, have been REDEEMED. How is your life changed because of it?

2 comments:

KayDee said...

Powerful words, my dear, powerful words.

Often I think it my smallness faith and small, cramping concept of what God is that is one of the biggest challenge to overcome in my Christian walk.

It is awe inspiring, the Creator of Heaven and Earth, maker of the incredible night skys, breathtaking mountains, gorgeous sunrises and sunsets. Redeemed Me, wants an active, alive passionate relationship with ME. Takes my breath away.

Thanks for sharing these thoughts this morning -- Redemption is a good thing to mediate on for my drive into work.

Must of just missed you on Lindsay's blog this morning for once I posted my comment, yours appeared. Of course after all my grandma memories came, you and your dear love for your grandma came to my mind and I knew you'd be blessed by Lindsay's photos and words too.

Lindsay said...

I'm reading this for the third time and am still soaking each & every word in. Wow... you've done it again... hit the nail on the head!!