Saturday, December 22, 2007

The Impossible Season

It really is impossible. It is an impossibility that I could actually get packages sent to Washington ON TIME. So if you are a family member, please know that your stocking stuffers are bought...but not sent. I like to think if them as the "New Year's Stuffers." It is a way to extend the holiday. By the way the same holds true for our (what turned out to be blurry) Christmas Cards. I put "Happy Holidays" on them, not because I was being PC, but because I was I just knew that a Christmas Card was a little beyond me...

So, speaking of the impossibility...I want to follow up on KD's Blog of yesterday. Mary. The mother of the savior, the financee who rode a donkey (actually, I am not sure this part is actually in Bible - do you know?)...who gave birth in a stable, as a virgin, who was full-fledged servant of the Lord.

Now, if I was God, and I wanted my Son to come to earth as the mighty king, I think I would have had the best accommodations possible, and had him be born to a beautiful, well-liked, well-respected woman. I would have had a purple velvet blanket to warm him, and had a parade and trumpets. If this was the Savior that I had foretold of, that all of the Old Testament prophets had discussed, I would have had it witnessed and documented by Kings, not a couple of Shepards and a few animals. Isn't it just impossible? Doesn't it just seem so?

So if you wonder if God's ways are our ways...just remember that he chose Mary, a stable, a few Shepards. This was the KING foretold, the salvation of Israel. God uses unbelievable people in unbelievable situations. Isn't it just impossible to fathom?

There is great mystery in the story. I love that. I love to BELIEVE the IMPOSSIBILITY of the story, you must have FAITH (small as a mustard seed), not BIG faith, but enough to let God work on you and through you.

I have a new appreciation for the story this year. I hope that I can treasure the impossibility of this story for the other 364 days. It is an impossible season, made possible by the only one that could.

Lord, Heavenly Father,
Thank you for this story. Thank you for the birth of Jesus. Thank you for the love you showed us all through the gift of the savior. Thank you for the impossibility of the story; that we may know it could only be of YOU. No one else would have done it in this way. Lord, thank you for friends and family, and help them to see your impossible season for what it is. Help me to live this impossible story each and every day. To be in the presence of you, the one who does things so differently than I would have. Use me. Help me to be that servant.
In your holy name, AMEN.

1 comment:

KayDee said...

Amen - our Savior's humble beginnings were so modest, unassuming. Anyone who wanted to herald in the coming of the King certainly wouldn't have picked lowly shepherds to spread the tale, would they?

Our God uses impossible situations in amazing ways, to His glory. I appreciate that and am awed by that.

How many of the Lord's servants throughout the centuries have said, "Lord, you want to use ME?" Important, important to remember.

Hope your Christmas travels and visits were full of family and fellowship.

New Year's goals -- ahhhh think we gotta :)