Monday, January 14, 2008

Goal #3 Obedience

We have been studying Jonah at Church. You know, the human that was called by God to Ninevah and instead ran the other direction...only to be thrown over-board and swallowed by a great big fish, to be vomited up on the shore, and THEN went to Nivenah. God did not tell Jonah how to get to Nivenah, or what he was to do there, just that he was to GO.

The point is that once God called, he wouldn't leave well enough alone until Jonah listened. I wonder what my big fish is. What is it that God is doing in my life to get my attention? If God is seeking you today, know that whatever you attempt to do to run the other direction, he may put a big, giant fish in your path until you listen!

So, goal #3 for the New Year is to be obedient. Some may think that this is a goal that means sacrifice and pain, but instead I have come to realize that an obedient life gives peace and happiness. It is one that I never could have imagined.

I am asking for God to reveal the ways that my life is not obedient. I want to pray my way through the scriptures. I want to lift up friends and family in prayer. I want to be a student of the bible, learning the details of the stories. I want and need that time, daily, in the Word and in prayer. And this is my goal. An obedient life.

Revelation 3:19-20:
Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest, and repent. Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me.

Romans 5:1-5
Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained acces by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.

2 comments:

KayDee said...

Good stuff! Hmm, big fishes. I appreciate your realization that obedience brings peace and happiness -- it does doesn't it? Goes against worldly think.

Love the verses you shared.

Two random mentions -- love the new header and answer to why Asher Farms :) Also last weekend in April is circle retreat? Thursday through Sunday? Southwest is having some pretty good deals for travel through May --

Lindsay said...

I'm so glad that you liked the banner/header. It's one of my favorite pictures from our old farm.
The goals you and KayDee are setting are amazing! You're definitely looking at the big picture & I admire that greatly!
I was just thinking this morning as I was driving to work... I wonder what is about to happen to make God just that much more real to me? When things seem to be smooth sailing, it gives us little if any reason to trust in Him.

Happy Day to you... and enjoy the obedience you've been called to.